Please read and sign our terms of reference below:
Virtual Patient Participation Group Terms of Reference – Version 1, July 2021
In order to grow our practice Patient Participation Group (PPG) we want to create a safe and friendly, virtual group for helpful, constructive comments and a platform to share ideas. An online PPG Facebook (FB) forum page has been developed as a virtual patient group to help patients share ideas before presenting them to the practice.
If you wish to be a part of our PPG you must adhere to these terms at all times. Please ensure you read them thoroughly. Copies are available upon request at reception for you to sign and also on our website to download. The PPG is patient led with practice contribution and support.
Some terms of reference (please see below) have been developed to help us achieve a successful virtual platform. The terms of reference for the PPG will be reviewed on an annual basis or if the NHS requires changes to be made to the regulations.
The purpose of the Virtual Patient Group is to establish a platform of communication with registered patients of the Practice so that the practice and patients can share views and ideas on the services provided. We also aim for our patients and PPG members to have a better understanding and knowledge of the Practice, its staff and the services we provide.
Our aims are:
- To build good relations between the GP practice and patients, by communicating patient experience, interest and concerns. Providing feedback to the practice on current procedures and proposed new developments.
- To work with the practice to improve and develop services and facilities for patients, acting as a sounding board for practice staff on issues affecting patients.
- To strengthen and build a two-way communication and co-operation between the practice and the wider community to the mutual benefit of all.
- Membership shall be open to all registered patients and will reflect the patient profile and be widely representative and inclusive
- To encourage & promote health education activities within the practice
KEY POINTS OF THE PPG
- The FB group will aim to represent the diversity of our practice population
- The FB group will create and improve two-way communication between patients, the practice and the community
- To create a sense of partnership between the practice and patients
- To provide constructive feedback on patient and community needs, services we provide, to share concerns and interests
- To share health promotions and promote them
- To collect patient opinions and experiences to help evaluate the practices services.
- Communicate to the Practice community and/or the wider community information about the practice and the services we provide
- Members of the group may be asked to complete brief online surveys which will be fed back to the practice. The results will be used to help the practice plan and prioritise areas for the practice to develop and improve in the future. Staff of the practice will see the results of the survey but they will be collated and will remain anonymous. Results of the survey will be shared with practice staff and PPG members to help improve services provided.
- Members can choose to leave the group whenever they wish. (Please notify Fiona Morrison, Patient Services Manager, via email if you wish to leave the group. We can then ensure that you receive no further communication from the PPG).
PATIENT PARTICIPATION IS PATIENTS WORKING WITH THE PRACTICE TO:
- To promote a patient led culture
- PPGs work by building a relationship between the practice and its patients that breaks down barriers and shares information
- Feedback constructive feedback to help improve practice services
- To improve communication between the practice and patients
- To make sure that the patient feedback is listened to that the practice and patients share the same values
- Help patients to take more responsibility for their health and find out how to source services via the practice
- Provide practical support, virtual support, share constructive feedback and help to implement change.
Please note that the PPG is not:
- A forum for complaints: Clear ground rules are declared to ensure that PPG members do not use the PPG as a group to resolve their own personal issues and/or complaints.
- In order to be valuable, PPG members must have the confidence to support and challenge the practice to benefit the patient population
The terms of reference for the PPG will be reviewed on an annual basis or if the NHS requires change to be made to the regulations.