For non-NHS work such as medical examinations, reports and certificates etc., there will be a fee incurred. You will need to pay for the service at Reception before the appointment or before collecting documents etc. Payment can be made by cheque, cash or credit card.
Why do GPs charge fees?
It is important to understand that GPs are not employed by the NHS, they are self-employed and they have to cover their costs – staff, buildings, heating, lighting etc – in the same way as any small business.
The government contract with GPs covers medical services to NHS patients, however in recent years, more and more organisations have been involving doctors in a whole range of non-medical work.
Sometimes the only reason that GPs are asked is because they are in a position of trust in the community, or because an insurance company or employer wants to ensure that information provided to them is true and accurate.
This work takes time and resources, for example; medical reports for insurance companies, claims on private health insurance and other letters and forms which require the doctor to review the patient’s medical records, ensure information is accurate and correct and appropriately summarised for the purpose. This can be quite time consuming.
Examples of non-NHS services for which GPs can charge their patients
- Private medical insurance reports.
- Holiday cancellation forms.
- Letters request by, or on behalf of, the patient.
Examples of non-NHS services for which GPs can charge other institutions are
- Medical reports for an insurance company
- Some reports for the DSS/Benefits Agency
Why does it sometimes take my GP a long time to complete my form?
Time spent completing forms and preparing reports takes the GP away from the medical care of his or her patients.
Most GPs have a very heavy workload and paperwork takes up an increasing amount of their time. In addition non-NHS work must be undertaken outside of NHS contracted time.
I only need the doctor’s signature – what is the problem?
When a doctor signs a certificate or completes a report it is a condition of remaining on the Medical Register that they only sign what they know to be true. Therefore in order to complete even the simplest of forms, the doctor may need to check the patient’s entire record. Carelessness or an inaccurate report can have serious consequences for the doctor, with the General Medical Council or even the Police.
What can I do to help?
- Not all documents need a signature by a doctor, for example passport applications. You can ask another person in a position of trust to sign such documents free of charge.
- If you have several forms requiring completion, present them all at once and ask your GP if he or she is prepared to complete them at the same time to speed up the process.
- Do not expect your GP to process forms overnight. Urgent requests may mean that a doctor has to make special arrangements to process the form quickly, and this will cost more.
Do GPs have to do non-NHS work for their patients?
With certain limited exceptions GPs do not have to carry out non-NHS work on behalf of their patients.
Whilst GPs will always attempt to assist their patients with the completion of forms, for example for insurance purposes, they are not required to do such non-NHS work.
Fees list 2020/21
|Adoption and Fostering||Paid By||Charge|
|Form IHA Initial Health Assessment||Parent, fostering by NHS, or adoption / fostering agency||£58.12|
|Form AH Health assessment, Prospective carer||Parent, fostering by NHS, or adoption / fostering agency||£73.86|
|Form AH2 Update report, parent/carer||Parent, fostering by NHS, or adoption / fostering agency||£24.36|
|Child-minder (Ofsted health declaration form)||Patient / Employer||£91.00|
|Attendance allowance / disability living allowance||Paid By||Charge|
|GP Factual Report||DWP||£33.50 Set by DWP|
|DS1500||DWP||£17.70 Set by DWP|
|Blue Badge scheme||Paid By||Charge|
|Expert Witness form – We do not offer this service|
|Bus Pass (Concessionary)|
|Confirmation of eligibility||Patient||£30.00|
|Certificates and forms||Paid By||Charge|
|Criminal Injuries Compensation Report on Pro Forma||Criminal Injuries Authority||£38.00|
|Freedom from Infection Certificate||Patient||£30.00|
|Private Sick Note (any sick note within 7 days is private)||Patient||£30.00|
|Provident Association Claim Form (e.g. BUPA/PPP||Patient||£30.00|
|School Fees insurance Claim Form||Patient||£30.00|
|Fitness for school, university, etc.||Patient||£35.00|
|Health Certificate to attend University, College, Teacher and Nurses Training||Patient / Employer||£35.00|
|Full Medical and Report, HGV, PSV||Patient||£140.00|
|Report to DVLA with Examination||DVLA||£80.00|
|Report to DVLA No Examination||DVLA||£40.00|
|PCV/LGV Driver||Patient / Employer||£140.00|
|Local Authority PCV/LGV Driver||Local authority||£140.00|
|Fitness for Gym membership, Sporting events, School, University, etc. ** (see guidance in Appendix 2 notes)||Paid By||Charge|
|Examination and Report||Patient||£80.00- £100 depending on time taken|
|Short Certificate / Simple Letter (simple letter, one page. More complex letters / certificates charged pro-rata||Patient||£35.00- £75.00|
|Mental Capacity /Lasting power attorney forms||Paid By||Charge|
|With Examination||Solicitor/ Patient/ Guardian||£115.00|
|With examination requiring a home visit||Solicitor / Guardian / Patient||£150.00|
|No Examination||Solicitor / Guardian / Patient||£75.00|
|Passport and Naturalisation Form– Exceptional cases only on application||We do NOT routinely offer this service||Adult £50.00 / Child £30.00|
|Shotgun License Certificate||Patient||£80.00|
|To Whom It May Concern standard letter (NON NHS) work) To Whom It May Concern standard letter (NON NHS work)||Patient||£30.00|
|Travel Abroad||Paid By||Charge|
|Fitness to Travel Certificate||Patient||£30.00- £50.00 Depending on complexity of patient|
|Holiday Cancellation Simple Certificate||Insurance Company / Patient||£30.00|
|Holiday Cancellation Insurance Claim||Insurance Company / Patient||£30.00- £50.00 depending on complexity|
|Simple Letter detailing Prescription Medicines||Patient||£30.00|
Other Non NHS Reports, Application Forms and Medicals
- Accident or sickness insurance to support a claim for payment of benefit under accident or sickness insurance policy
- Employment report pre-employment, or report on an employee, requested by an employer
- Fitness for education to attend university, college, teacher and nurses training and, for dentists, completion of the form of application for first registration of a dentist issued by the GDC
- Pharmaceutical trials report on suitability of patient to take part as non-patient volunteer
- Private medical insurance: report on prospective subscriber to a private medical insurance (PMI) scheme (eg BUPA, PPP, WPA, etc)
- Life insurance applications
- Occupational health reports
- NHS Employee Prospective
Extract from records (no examination reception to print the report and checked by Dr) – £100.00
Report on a pro forma, no examination (eg 20 minutes) – £150.00
Written report without examination, providing a detailed opinion and statement on the condition of the patient (eg 30 minutes) – £175.00
Written report with examination, providing a detailed opinion and statement on the condition of the patient (eg 45 minutes) – £200.00
NO Charge Incurred
- Statutory Certificates for DWP
- Medical Records (SARS)
- Debt & mental health evidence forms (DMHEF)
- Council Tax Exemptions (To support a claim by or on behalf of a severely mentally impaired person for exemption from liability to pay the Council Tax or eligibility for a discount in respect of the amount of Council Tax payable.)
- Notification of Infectious Diseases
- To establish unfitness for Jury service (Juries Act 1974)
- Legal aid template letter – See the UK Government website for info
- Professional Evidence in court
- Agreeing with Advice Bureau appeal assessment letter
- Safeguarding Forms – Included in deprivation LCS currently
By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device. Find out about our cookies.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.